Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE)
At Ashbrook Junior School, we believe that teaching of PSHE is a very important element of the school curriculum. We aim to enable children to become healthy, independent and responsible members of society alongside developing children's confidence, self-esteem and awareness to:
- actively promote fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs;
- promote tolerance and respect of all faiths (and those with no faith), cultures and lifestyles through effective spiritual, moral, social and cultural development;
- make the most of their abilities;
- play an active, positive role as citizens in a democratic society;
- understand and develop good relationships with each other and all members of the school and wider community;
- have respect for each other and the differences between people;
- develop a healthy and safe lifestyle;
- make informed choices regarding personal and social issues – be responsible members of the school community.
Relationship and Sex Education (RSE)
At Ashbrook Junior School, we believe that effective Relationship and Sex Education is essential for young people to make responsible and well informed decisions about their lives. The RSE programme is integrated into the PSHE curriculum within the school.
RSE is the lifelong learning about the physical, moral and emotional development. Pupils are taught about the nature and celebration of different relationships. The school recognises the importance of a variety of strong and mutually supportive relationships and ensures there is no stigmatism of children based on their home circumstances. We celebrate different families and same love!
Parents meetings are held so that parents can view the RSE materials and support discussions at home.