Home Page

How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have SEN?

How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have Special Educational Needs?


At Ashbrook Junior School, we use a ‘graduated response’ to identifying and supporting children with Special Educational Needs. We take the following steps:


  • Quality first teaching – All children have a basic entitlement to quality first teaching in the classroom. Sometimes, if a child has fallen behind in school, their needs can be met by differentiated teaching approaches. This is our first step in supporting children. Each class teacher is accountable for the progress and development of the pupils in their class, including where pupils access support from Teaching Assistants.
  • We regularly and carefully review the quality of teaching for all pupils, including those at risk of underachievement. This includes reviewing and, where necessary, improving teachers’ understanding of strategies to identify and support vulnerable pupils and their knowledge of the SEN most frequently encountered.
  • Listening to the views of parents/ carers and child - If a child does not make progress or there is a concern about a possible Special Educational Need, the class teacher will have a discussion with the SENDCO (Mrs Johnstone) and parent/ carer about the additional support or provision needed.
  • If necessary, a meeting will be held with the child, parent/ carer, teacher and SENDCO to develop an Inclusion Passport. Here, we listen to the views of the child, parent/carer and teacher before working together to develop some targets and outlined provision for the child. These targets are reviewed at least three times per year.
  • External agencies and other professionals - If the child continues to struggle to meet their targets or more support is needed, additional support may be needed from outside agencies. Parents/ carers can also request that referrals are made. At all stages, Parents/ Carers will be involved and made aware of any additional provision.


Outside Agencies which may be involved in working with children in school include:


  • SSSEN (Support Service for Special Educational Needs)
  • Educational Psychologist
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • Visual Impairment Service
  • Sensory and Physical Support Service for Children and Young People who are Deaf or Hearing Impaired.
  • Sensory and Physical Support Service
  • Behaviour Support Service
  • School Nurse Service
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • Voluntary Agencies


More details about the support which children with SEND can access can be found as part of Derbyshire’s Local Offer at: