Home Page

Who I contact if I have concerns or questions?

Who do I contact if I have concerns or questions?


Every teacher is accountable for all children in their class, including the children with SEND.  The class teacher should be the first point of contact for all questions and queries regarding the provision for your child.  Appointments can be arranged via the school office (01332 673785). 


The SENDCO (Mrs Johnstone) is responsible for co-ordinating the additional provision for pupils with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities at the school.  As part of this role, she is the line manager for the SEN Teaching Assistants.  She is also responsible for managing the school’s responsibility for meeting the medical needs of pupils.  


In line with the recommendations in the SEN Code of Practice 2014, the SENCO’s key roles and responsibilities include: 


  • overseeing the day-to-day operation of the school’s SEN policy;  
  • coordinating provision for children with SEN;  
  • liaising with the relevant designated teacher where a looked after pupil has SEN; 
  • advising a on graduated approach to providing SEN Support;  
  • advising on the deployment of the school’s delegated budget and other resources to meet pupils’ needs effectively; 
  • liaising with parents of children with SEN;  
  • liaising with early years providers, other schools, educational psychologists, health and social care professionals, and independent or voluntary bodies; 
  • being a key point of contact with external agencies, including the LA and LA support services;  
  • liaising with potential next providers of education to ensure a young person and their parents are informed about options and a smooth transition is planned; 
  • working with the head teacher and school governors that the school meets its responsibilities under the Equality Act (2010) with regard to reasonable adjustments and access arrangements;  
  • ensuring that the school keeps the records of all children with SEN up to date. 


The SEND Governor (Glyn Stenson) meets the SENCO on a termly basis to keep up-to-date with SEN developments within the school and to review the implementation of the SEN policy on an ongoing basis.


Parents can consult with Derbyshire Information Advice and Support Service for Special Educational Needs and Disability (formerly known as ‘Parent Partnership’) at any point to request advice. Details can be found at: Parents who wish to contact the school concerning an SEND issue should in first instance contact the class teacher and then the SENDCO - Mrs Johnstone. 


In cases where parents/carers find that the action taken is unsatisfactory, or that they have further cause for complaint they can also contact in this order: 


  • Headteacher 
  • Governor for SEN 
  • Chair of Governors 
  • Local Authority 


Please see the complaints procedure for more details. 


Further information regarding support for children with SEND in the local area can be found via Derbyshire’s Local Offer website: